Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Godfather: Part III - "It Was Not What I WANTED!"

The Godfather: Part III is really the only movie in the saga that I needed to revisit to prepare for the new cut (my next article will cover that version of the film), but as I mentioned in my article about Part II, I don’t view these as three individual films as much as I view them as one long story detailing Michael Corleone’s rise and fall. Plenty of fans like to pretend that this film doesn’t exist (hence the title of this article), but I am not one of them. I don’t consider the best or most important part of the series, but I do find it vital and entertaining. Despite my enjoyment of the film, it is the one I can most easily nitpick.


Victim of the Studio...and Casting


Following up Part I and II years later was always going to be tough, but Francis Ford Coppola was very unlucky in dealing with the studio with this sequel. The studio would only give him and the actors so much time and money, and it held him back. 


The first major problem was that a release date of Christmas was a requirement despite Coppola asking for more time to work on the script and edit the film. This movie was going to come out on that date no matter what. It seems crazy to think that such an accomplished filmmaker had such little power, but this is a good example that studios only care about right now. And at the time, Paramount knew The Godfather: Part III would make a lot more money (and get an awards bump) by being released on Christmas rather than in March. 


On top of the scheduling issues, two disasters struck the cast. First, Robert Duvall wanted a comparable salary to Al Pacino’s. The studio said no, and that was that. This is why George Hamilton is in this movie. I don’t mind Hamilton, but he’s nothing compared to Duvall. It makes for one of the most infuriating “What could’ve been?” situations when you imagine this film with Duvall. Who the fuck was running Paramount back then?


The second disaster was Sofia Coppola. I’m not going to pile on Sofia Coppola here (I saved that for the Random Thoughts section), but she’s simply not a good actress. And this is coming from someone who rarely criticizes performances (for example, I think Colin Farrell is great in Alexander). It’s painfully obvious that she is not meant for the role of Michael’s daughter. And that’s a fact, not an opinion. Winona Ryder was meant to play the part, but dropped out due to exhaustion (there are some other theories, but this is the official story). I think this movie would be much better with Duvall and Ryder in it, but it wasn’t meant to be.



In the End, These Problems Don’t Matter


Yes, Part III would probably have been a better film if the casting had gone the way Coppola originally wanted it, but Duvall and Ryder were still just going to be supporting characters. This is the story of the end of Michael Corleone. 


I find his regret and softened character to be very interesting. Michael is still cunning and methodical, but now it’s about winning his family back and soul back. This is why we get the admittedly boring plot about International Immobiliare. Michael is trying to buy his family’s legitimacy, and the connections to the Vatican will hopefully allow him to buy his way into redemption for his sins. 


While Michael’s striving for legitimacy, though, he’s still a part of the crime world. Even though he abdicates his role as Don to Sonny’s illegitimate son, Vincent, Michael is still responsible for everything that happens. The most famous line of the film (“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!”) sums it up. Michael can’t leave the world behind. Vito told him this in the first film. They didn’t have enough time to allow Michael to become a truly legitimate Corleone. Once you go down the crime path, there’s no going back. 


This is made abundantly clear when Michael’s daughter is killed during an assassination attempt intended for Michael. All the money and confessions can’t change the past. Michael was always doomed once he took over the family. The path Vito started the Corleone family on years ago cannot be left. Part III works for me because, despite its flaws, it still delivers the gut punch ending of a sad, old Michael dying alone with all his regrets. This story was always about the misery brought on to a person who enters the criminal world. And Michael Corleone’s life and death is the perfect example of that.


Why Do I Own This?


I’ve always liked this film. More importantly, I love the trilogy. I believe each film is a necessary chapter in Michael’s story. Some may feel that this was a cash grab, and it certainly was, but that doesn’t mean it’s unnecessary. Also, it’s part of the collection. What am I going to do, throw it out on principle or something?


Random Thoughts / Favorite Quotes 


Yes, Coppola talks about gnocchi for what seems like ten minutes, but his audio commentary is one of the most honest I've ever heard. Most of the info I get into above about the studio and whatnot if from the commentary.


Coppola makes a very interesting point while defending his daughter during the commentary. Of course, he claims the performance is better than critics claim, but what’s interesting is how he finds similarities between the critical reaction and the story of the film. In many ways, he thinks Sofia took the bullet intended for him from the critics. And he’s right. If someone is to blame for The Godfather: Part III being a disappointing movie, it should be Francis Ford Coppola, not his daughter.


Pacino screaming, “It was not what I WANTED” is one of my favorite line readings of his.


Finally, a Corleone party with a valet or at least a parking garage nearby!


"I had a lot of girlfriends when I was 15."

"Eight-year-olds?"

"Especially eight-year-olds."

...what the fuck?


I think Sofia Coppola catches so much shit because she's so terrible at flirt-acting...and acting-acting.


Coppola does this weird thing with her mouth throughout the film; it looks like when Billy Idol sings.


"Every family has bad memories."

Yeah, but…


I do like how they're much more open about talking about mob shit now.


"Zasa, you son of a bitch!" is a much better last line than "It's my lucky coat!"


Despite the cousin stuff, I dig Andy Garcia’s James Caan impression throughout the film.


Cousin-fucking is a tough sell in any movie, but Coppola's awful, wooden performance makes it even worse. 


Way to remind the audience that you're cousins by calling her "cous" before you bang her in the kitchen, Vince.


"He's your first cousin."

"Then I love him first."

First, what? Second, the fuck?


On the bright side, Mary getting killed solves that pesky cousin fucking situation. 


..


No comments:

Post a Comment