Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Cyclops - Visual Vengeance

Cyclops, out now from Visual Vengeance, is basically a short film that was a direct to video release in Japan back in the late ‘80s. As usual with these foreign films, this was confusing either because of bad writing or shoddy translating, but most likely both. But who cares? As you can see from the gruesome slipcover, this is all about gross ass practical effects work. 

There is a bit of a story to Cyclops, but the short run time (right at an hour) doesn’t allow enough time to, pun intended, flesh everything out. There are secretive doctors doing experimental shit to people born with defects. They can cover up the defects, but great stress brings out their true form. I think. 


Cyclops is entertaining enough for the first two-thirds with a decent, if extremely repetitive, score. Bad guys eat at a Denny’s (which I think is some kind of commentary on America, maybe?). There’s murder and nudity. That’s all just there to tide you over for the showstopping final moments of gross goo and tentacles and shit. 


This certainly isn’t for everyone, or maybe anyone. But that final sequence is fun if you’re a Cronenberg fan like me. Overall, it just felt strange that they didn’t go for feature length. I think this would have had a bit more of an impact if they had tried to make a whole movie. Instead, it feels more like a trial video to try to get more effects work in bigger movies. Still made for a short, interesting watch, though. 


Transfer and Special Features


This was shot on 16mm, so it looks better than a lot of the Visual Vengeance stuff. That’s not a knock on them. They’re working with low quality stuff from the start, and it’s a minor miracle that they get such good transfers from these forgotten films. 


I’ll be honest: I checked out on the special features with this one. I just don’t care that much about this director’s career, so the interview with him didn’t interest me. 


And then Justin Decloux strikes again with a commentary and a couple featurettes in which he shows his extensive knowledge of a sub-genre I didn’t even know existed. 


Finally, there’s all the usual great stuff from Visual Vengeance: a slipcover, a reversible insert, some VHS store stickers, and a booklet with an essay on the making of the effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment