Sunday, March 12, 2023

2023 Oscar Predictions


I care less and less about the Oscars each year. It’s hard to get excited about an awards show for the best movies of the year that waits until almost halfway through March to announce their winners; and this is coming from an admitted procrastinator. Still, writing an Oscars article over a decade ago is what got me started in film writing. So, for the few people who want to see how I do with my predictions (hi, Mom!), here is my Oscar preview. I’m sticking with my usual format: I’ll make my prediction, name my favorite nominee, and name my favorite overall (as sometimes my favorite isn’t even nominated). This year, however, I will just list all that stuff together and save my comments for the very end of the article just to keep things neater. Oh, and I’m not listing all the nominees. Google that shit if you want to know them all.


Best Cinematography


Prediction: Tár


My Pick: All Quiet on the Western Front


My Overall Favorite: Nope


Best Original Score


Prediction: Babylon


My Pick: Babylon


My Overall Favorite: Crimes of the Future


Best Original Song


Prediction: Naatu Naatu


My Pick: Naatu Naatu


My Overall Favorite: Uh, Naatu Naatu, I guess. Look, I do not care about this one at all.


Best Visual Effects


Prediction: Avatar: The Way of Water


My Pick: Avatar: The Way of Water


My Overall Favorite: Avatar: The Way of Water


Best Original Screenplay


Prediction: The Banshees of Inisherin


My Pick: The Banshees of Inisherin


My Overall Favorite: The Banshees of Inisherin


Best Adapted Screenplay


Prediction: Women Talking


My Pick: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery


My Overall Favorite: The Northman


Best Documentary


Prediction: All the Beauty and the Bloodshed


My Pick: Fire of Love


My Overall Favorite: I Didn’t See You There


Best Animated Feature


Prediction: Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio


My Pick: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish


My Overall Favorite: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish


Best International Feature


Prediction: All Quiet on the Western Front


My Pick: All Quiet on the Western Front


My Overall Favorite: Decision to Leave


Best Supporting Actor


Prediction: Ke Huy Quan


My Pick: Ke Huy Quan


My Overall Favorite: Ke Huy Quan


Best Supporting Actress


Prediction: Stephanie Hsu


My Pick: Kerry Condon


My Overall Favorite: Kerry Condon


Best Actor


Prediction: Colin Farrell


My Pick: Colin Farrell


My Overall Favorite: Colin Farrell


Best Actress


Prediction: Cate Blanchett


My Pick: Michelle Yeoh


My Overall Favorite: Michelle Yeoh


Best Director


Prediction: The Daniels


My Pick: The Daniels


My Overall Favorite: Damien Chazelle


Best Picture


Prediction: Everything Everywhere All at Once


My Pick: The Banshees of Inisherin


My Overall Favorite: The Banshees of Inisherin


So, that’s it. Typically, I do not do well with these predictions, and I doubt this year will be different. As far as the nominations in general are concerned, I was pleasantly surprised by a few of them this year (Triangle of Sadness and All Quiet on the Western Front having so many noms was nice), and there were the usual head-scratchers (Top Gun: Maverick for Best Adapted Screenplay?!). I have a hard time these days caring about all this like I used to when I was younger. There was a time when the Oscars could enrage me. I’m thinking about Adrien Brody beating Daniel Day-Lewis (Gangs of New York), and Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan, and Chicago beating Gangs of New York, and The Artist winning, and Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke, and Michael Keaton losing to Eddie Redmayne, and DiCaprio losing to Jamie Foxx, and…okay, the Oscars can still piss me off. 


But over the years, I learned that the voting process is highly political and there are ads purchased and campaigns ran and all that shit. But mainly, I just got older. I’ve got kids and whatnot these days, so I’ve lost the emotional capacity to care that much about who wins the Hollywood popularity contest each year. I still find it fun, and I will always be interested in all the awards stuff, but my days of letting them anger me are thankfully over. So maybe I’ll get a few of these right this year, but as far as the most deserving people winning? I know what my favorites were, and that’s enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment